Best Hiking Trails in New Zealand (25+ Day Hikes and Backpacking Trips)
25+ best hikes from 6 months traveling New Zealand listed in order of my favorites. Click the trail name to get detailed trail information from New Zealand’s Department of Conservation.
1. Milford Track (53.5km, 3 days)
2. Roys Peak (16km, 5-6 hours)
3. Hooker Valley (10km, 3 hours)
4. Mueller Hut Route/Sealy Tarns (5.2km one way, 4 hours)
5. Gillespie Pass Circuit (58km, 3-4 days)
6. Angelus Hut/Travers-Sabine Circuit (24.4km-80km, 2-7 days)
7. Kepler Track (50.5km, 3 days)
8. Routeburn Track (33km, 3 days)
9. Tongariro Alpine Crossing (19.4km, 7-8 hours)
10. Brewster Hut (5km one way, 3-4 hours)
11. Lake Marian (2.4km, 3 hours)
13. Ben Lomond Track (3-8 hours depending on choice of start and end points)
14. Abel Tasman Coast Track (20km-60km, 2-5 days)
16. Isthmus Peak Track (16km, 5-6 hours)
17. Mount John Summit Circuit Track (1.5 hours)
18. Greenstone-Caples Track (4 days)
19. Glendhu Bay Track (12.5km, 3-4 hours)
22. Avalanche Peak Route (6-8 hours)
23. Mount Robert Circuit (5 hours)
24. Glenorchy Lagoon Walkway (1 hour)
25. Skyline Track (19km, 10-11 hours or overnight)
26. Rob Roy Glacier Track (10km, 3-4 hours)
27. Queenstown Hill Track (3 hours)
Note: Most overnight hikes require reservations in advance for a hut or campsite.
Hiking is an amazing ways to experience New Zealand’s incredible scenery. Other must-do experiences, road trips, and sights are included in the New Zealand Guide & Itinerary.
Focused on the South Island, this interactive and customizable itinerary has New Zealand’s top hikes, photography spots, and authentic experiences built into a 10-day itinerary with 20+ additional add-ons to customize the itinerary to you for your best trip.